dinsdag 27 augustus 2013

Tofo - Quiet at the beach, 25 Km to the bank

The next morning I woke up early, and wittnessed the sun rise from the ocean. Beautiful! As it happened, I saw some strange movements on the horizon. What wuld that be? I found out later that day.
Bare is the regular footwear around here, as everything is covered with sand. Walk into town? Sand. Visit the market? Sand. Police Station? Sand.
This here is our cabin. Roofing is done with palm leaves, folded in a very clever way. We are sleeping under mosquito nets, but get bitten nonetheless. Deet spray, candles, scent, but still. I am so happy we are on Malanil - Malarone, because I would not want one of the kids to catch a malaria fever.
The lodge seen from the beach. Fatima's backpackers is ok. Not very, but ok. We actually scouted Bamboozi as well, and the municipal backpackers. Bamboozi will be nicer in high season, but was deserted now. Th e municipal backpackers has much nicer dorms, but was deserted, too. So we stayed at Fatima's, because everyone was there. Despite them telling you otherwise, only April and December are high season over here.
That's us! We were happy to have a few days of relaxing in front of us. A stroll down the beach was a perfect start.
Tijl found some wildlife here. Anice little crab. He had a blast seeing it run sideways.

Some boys came along with fresh oysters. We bought 5 for 100 Mtn. e still had his fins in hand as he took our money. How fresh can you get them? I took out my pocket knife and opened one for each of us, delicious




In the same style I decided to prepare lunch. Fatima's has a communal kitchen. Not great, but it is usable. Sinc there was no coal or wood available I put the grill over the gas stove. It kind of worked well, but some of the prawns remained undercooked; it was solved in a frying pan...
Gytha read some in a deck chair next to the lodges restaurant. Finally time to relax after all her work in Malawi. Kids playing aroud a bit with sand and swings.
Bad things about Tofo? Not many, but one is the absence of a decent ATM. The one at the gas staion between Tofo and Barra only accepts Visa, but no Maestro, so I had to drive all the way to Inhambane to find a Millenium Bank. It issues up to 8000 Mtn per day. It gave me an oppotunity to look at the city's nice colonial architecture as well. It really resembles a sleepy Portuguese village.
Driving back I had this wonderful setting sun in my rear mirror (click on the image fo bigger pic) So I stopped to take tis pic. End of day, end of a very nice and relaxed day!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten